Your essential checklistIf you are moving house, it is important to inform the relevant people of your departure.
FinancialBanks and Building Societies
Credit card companies
Pensions and investments
Services & UtilitiesWater
Telephone - home and mobile
Cable/satellite and internet providers
InsuranceHealth and medical
Building and contents
OtherFriends and family
Gym and other memberships
- Run down your fridge/freezer and ensure it is dry.
- Dispose of/sell any unwanted furniture etc and dispose of any rubbish.
- Self assembly furniture should be dismantled and flat packed.
- Check instructions for moving domestic appliances.
- Empty all fuel containers including motor mowers, motorcycles, heaters, BBQ's etc
- Empty any items containing liquids such as carpet cleaners.
- Remember to check lofts/attics/sheds/garages/behind doors.
- Mark on the outside of each box which room it is to go in.
- Organise suitable travel arrangements for any pets.
- Pack jewellery, legal documents etc and carry separately.
- Take meter readings before you leave the old property and on arrival at the new property.
- Remember to switch off electricity.
- Inform authorities if parking restrictions are in force.
- Check keys are available for your new home and leave old keys with estate agent.
- Pack a bag with essentials i.e. scissors, light bulb, loo roll, towel, pen, screwdriver.
don't forget the kettle, tea and biscuits.